A reminder to take the Green Auto Market reader survey. Electric vehicles and related technologies (such as advanced batteries and renewable energy) are getting a lot of interest from survey respondents. Make sure to put in your word so that all relevant topics and issues are well represented. Click here to take the five-question survey. And check out a LinkedIn group that I started recently – Clean Transportation. There are 20 members so far representing a wide range of interests including the EV charging infrastructure, sustainability, natural gas vehicles, electric scooters, and fleet management.
And in other clean transportation news……
- IHS Automotive says global production of battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids will rise 67% this year versus just 3.6% of all vehicles globally. Tightening European emission standards are part of the trend along with several new EVs rolling out this year such as the BMW i3 and i8, Audi A3 E-Tron, Mercedes-Benz B-Class EV, and Volkswagen E-Up (that won’t be sold in the US). That’s very interesting to read about as IHS is the largest automotive research entity out there now, and has not really been that supportive or interested in alternative fuel vehicles. So that report carries a lot of weight.
- Tesla Motors was named one of the top five brands in Consumer Reports Perception Survey. Not bad for entering the market in 2008 with the Tesla Roadster, and rolling out the provocative Model S in the summer of 2012.
- AeroVironment just rolled out what it says is the world’s first dual-voltage charging unit. TurboCord can charge at both 120 and 140 volts.
- Biofuels may get a break if the president signs the Agricultural Act of 2014, which has passed through both the House and Senate. It’s based on expanding bio-energy production and supports non-food based biomass energy production such as cellulosic ethanol and woody biomass power.
- Kia is introduced the all-new 2015 Kia Soul EV at the Chicago Auto Show. The Soul is one of three battery-based models Kia is showing at this year’s event; the automaker is also rolling out an updated version of its Optima Hybrid sedan, as well as the new Niro Hybrid Concept.