New energy vehicle rules: China has set 2019 as the first year for automakers to meet new energy vehicle sales targets, with the bar raised to 10% of annual sales that year. That’s two percentage points higher than an earlier proposal for next year, and applies to automakers selling at least 30,000 vehicles in that market. A credit system will be in place for sales of all-electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, which is expected to offer a similar credit trading structure in place with California’s zero emission vehicle program where automakers can trade credits. China’s industry ministry announced the new regulations Thursday, along with news that the level will rise to 12% for 2020. The national government wants to support China’s leading role in EV sales, and to prepare for a long-term ban on fossil-fuel vehicles announced earlier this month. Global automakers this year have been requesting that China soften the mandates for new energy vehicle sales.
Electric buses in the UK: BYD electric buses reduced about 900 tons of CO2 pollution in London after a year in service. Operated by Go-Ahead London for Transport for London, the fleet of 51 single decker buses serve Go-Ahead’s Waterloo depot on routes 507 and 521. The electric buses have been manufactured by the BYD ADL electric bus partnership. There are now 157 BYD ADL single deck electric buses in service for London operators. BYD ADL also announced that a ceremony was held this week by Liverpool City Region Bus Alliance to bring in a fleet of 12 BYD ADL Enviro200EV buses. The electric buses will be operated by Arriva Merseyside and begin service later this month on the City Centre Circular Routes 26 and 27, known as The Belt.
New EV joint venture launched: Toyota, Mazda, and Denso will be jointly forming a new company, EV C.A. Spirit, to develop electric vehicles. New production electric models are expected to come out in 2019 and 2020. Toyota will own 90% of the new company, and Mazda and auto parts supplier Denso will split the remaining 10%. It follows an August announcement by the two Japanese carmakers on joint EV projects and a $1.6 billion investment in a new U.S. plant. Denso is known for making key components used in electrical systems for EVs and inverters for hybrid vehicles. The company is working on an energy efficient air conditioning system for EVs.